In 2008, an eager group of young philanthropists decided they didn't want to wait to have a positive effect on the world. Young Ambassadors for Opportunity (YAO) formed as a way for young professionals, entrepreneurs and leaders to help end poverty for good.
YAO continues to expand, thanks to more young adults in cities around the country using their unique talents to inspire, educate and involve the next generation of advocates and leaders within the organization. Through volunteer-led chapters, Young Ambassadors are advocates, fundraisers and educators making a difference in the fight against global poverty.
YAO is about:
- Education - learning more about global poverty, development, microfinance, leadership and more.
- People-raising - advocating for and sharing the mission of Opportunity International with personal networks, speaking on Opportunity's behalf and serving as Opportunity's representatives in communities around the country.
- Fundraising - raising support for Opportunity's work around the world thorugh events and campaigns (like skydiving, Living Below the Line, playing cornhole, running races, dancing at fancy galas and more!)
As a Young Ambassador, you will:
- Meet and network with awesome people who care about global issues just like you do.
- Build up your leadership experience by serving a local chapter, planning events and advocating on behalf of a global cause.
- Learn more about microfinance, global poverty and development from experts in the field.
- Support a sustainable method of poverty alleviation by investing in entrepreneurs who are breaking free from the cycle of poverty and funding at least one loan for an Opportunity client per year ($12/month).