We would love to connect with you to discuss how you can meet your long-term philanthropic goals, take advantage of tax benefits, and leave a legacy through planned giving.
To explore how you can maximize your impact, please contact our Planned Giving team at [email protected].
Types of Legacy Gifts
Please connect with our team to learn how you can increase your impact, minimize your tax burden, and leave a legacy with a gift such as:
- Stocks and bonds. By making a gift of your appreciated securities, such as stocks and bonds, you can avoid paying capital gains tax that would otherwise be due if you sold these assets.
- Retirement assets. A gift of your retirement assets, such as your IRA, 401k, 403b, pension, IRA required minimum distribution, or other tax-deferred plan, is a wonderful way to help further Opportunity's work.
- Real estate. Real property could include your home, vacation property, vacant land, farmland, or a commercial property. If you own appreciated real estate property, you can avoid paying capital gains tax by making a planned gift.
- Insurance. Your life insurance policy can be an excellent source of a planned gift. If your life insurance policy is no longer needed or will no longer benefit your survivors, consider making a gift to advance Opportunity's mission.
- Cash. You can make a cash gift simply and easily. You will receive a charitable tax deduction that will provide you with savings on this year's tax return.
How to Make a Legacy Gift
- Bequest. Designate Opportunity International as the beneficiary of your asset by will, trust, or beneficiary designation form.
- Charitable Gift Annuity (CGA). Transfer your cash or appreciated property to Opportunity International in exchange for our promise to pay you fixed payments (with rates based on your age) for the rest of your life.
- Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust (CRAT). Transfer your cash or appreciated property to fund a charitable remainder annuity trust. The trust sells your property tax free and provides you with fixed income for life or a term of years.
- Charitable Remainder Unitrust (CRUT). Transfer your cash or appreciated property to fund a charitable remainder unitrust. The trust sells your property tax free and provides you with income for life or a term of years.
- Charitable Lead Trust (CLT). Fund a trust that makes gifts to Opportunity for a number of years. Your family receives the trust remainder at substantial tax savings.
- Reserved Life Estate. Give your property to Opportunity International but retain the right to use the property during your life.
- Bargain Sale. Sell your property to Opportunity for less than fair market value. You receive cash and a charitable deduction for the difference between market value and purchase price.
Opportunity supporters have taken advantage of giving opportunities just like these to benefit hardworking families around the world:
- David and Donna Allman sold an real estate asset to serve clients in Nicaragua.
- Mark and Megan Klopp included Opportunity in their will.
- Margaret Aydelotte left a bequest to benefit Opportunity clients.
The Whittaker Legacy Society
The Whittaker Legacy Society honors the legacy of Al and Marion Whittaker, founders of Opportunity International. Membership in the Society is available to anyone making a bequest or other planned gift, which mirrors the commitment and dedication of the Whittakers to love and serve those living in poverty.
To learn about joining the Whittaker Legacy Society by making a planned gift, contact our Planned Giving team at [email protected].