NEW AND OLD FRIENDS
- Oikocredit announced an innovative, three-year collaboration to increase access to quality education through an investment of up to $100M in Opportunity’s financial institution partners.
- Opportunity hosted a 50th Anniversary Summit, raising over $1 million and recognizing longstanding partners Credit Suisse and Cisco Foundation for their ongoing commitment to fighting poverty.
- Keith Krach announced the creation of the Trusted Tech Microfinance Initiative, devoted to closing the digital divide in low-income countries through technology.
OPPORTUNITY CHANGE AGENT
Helen Musyoka is the school proprietor of Mountain View Academy in Machakos County outside Nairobi, Kenya—an area where girls’ education generally is not a priority. She has worked hard to not only build the school’s facilities but also the school’s positive culture, including initiatives to empower women and girls.
YOUR TOP STORIES
- 10 inspiring client portraits narrated by Opportunity staff from around the world.
- Travelers visited our work right from their living rooms on our Virtual Insight Trip to Uganda: Passport to Opportunity.
- Hear Adwoa’s Story in her own voice, a cocoa farmer and Opportunity Waymaker in Ghana.
- Life on the Margins: Meeting the Unique Needs of Refugees and Students in Uganda by Allison Kooser
- When One Plus One Equals Three: A Tale of a Unique Collaboration to Reach More Children Living in Poverty by Mauricio Rincon
- Reuters feature on Opportunity: Ghana’s Farmers Arm Against Freak Weather with Crop Insurance
- FinDev blog: Locked out of Learning: Addressing the COVID-19 Education Crisis
Since launching in 2012, EduFinance has:
- Reached 10.1 million children
- Invested $500M+ into the education sector
- Partnered with 110 financial institutions
- Recognized by WISE, an initiative of Qatar Foundation, for positive contributions to education and society.
- Reopened Schools in Uganda: after 22 months of pandemic-related closures, nearly all of Opportunity EduQuality partner schools reopened in Uganda.
- Released $50M+ in capital
- Reached 150,000+ households
- Catalyzed $2.6B in loans
- Created over 1.8M jobs through those loans
- Serving over 16M clients with savings accounts
Milestones as of the end of FY2022 (September 30, 2022)