GIVE THE GIFT OF OPPORTUNITY ON #GIVINGTUESDAY
This #GivingTuesday, Opportunity International invites you, our trusted friend, to join us and fashion entrepreneur Megan Tamte’s Evereve to Give the Gift of Opportunity by bringing women’s empowerment and jeans…yes, jeans…together for a day.
What’s one of the most tried and true employee fundraisers of all time? That’s right, Jeans Day. On a typical jeans day fundraiser, employees pay $10 to a non-profit to be able to wear jeans to work. This year, Opportunity International and Evereve are inviting companies everywhere to participate in Jeans for Opportunity on Giving Tuesday.
By participating in this special day, your company will have the chance to get your employees engaged in a cause you care about, have fun, garner potential media and publicity and demonstrate corporate goodwill.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- It starts with you! Approach your management with this unique opportunity, encouraging them to approve your company’s participation.
- Your company signs up to participate in “Jeans for Opportunity” by emailing Allison at email@example.com.
- You can promote the campaign to employees, giving the opportunity to wear jeans on #GivingTuesday and support entrepreneurs in the developing world.
- If your company is already jeans-friendly, take it up a notch with fun Jeans PLUS ideas. Have a Fantasy Football league at your workplace? Wear Jeans PLUS your favorite team’s logo wear. Kick off the holiday season with Jeans PLUS your ugliest/best Christmas sweater. Show your support for your company by wearing mascot apparel. Or celebrate Jeans PLUS what’s popular in your region: Hawaiian shirts, cowboy boots, etc.
- Employees, in exchange for wearing jeans to work on GivingTuesday, December 2nd, 2014, give a $10 donation to Opportunity International through a co-branded landing page. The impact of each gift will be doubled by a $1-for-$1 match from Latitude, LLC. up to $100,000.
- Individuals or groups of employees are encouraged to take an “unselfie” holding a sign over their face that indicates why they gave to Opportunity and post it to Opportunity’s GivingTuesday page to build momentum and excitement. Individual photos can also be shared via social channels.
Opportunity International is a global non-profit organization that helps people in developing nations break the cycle of poverty, transform their lives, strengthen their families and improve their communities. We provide loans, savings accounts, insurance and business training to approximately 5 million clients in 22 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe. Clients use our services to expand businesses, provide for their families, create jobs and build a safety net for the future. Opportunity International has provided more than 23 million loans valued at nearly $6.5 billion. When you give to Opportunity International, your money fuels an entrepreneur and the local economy. In fact, every $150 donated = 1 more entrepreneur empowered by our work. Learn more at www.opportunity.org
During the month of December, Evereve will be launching their Giving is Hot program whereby every purchase of a pair of jeans generates a $10 donation to Opportunity International. The Giving Tuesday Jeans for Opportunity is a way to get everyone involved in the spirit of giving while shining light on the eradication of global poverty. Learn more about Evereve here evereve.com
ABOUT GIVING TUESDAY
- #GivingTuesday is a national day of giving held each year on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving. It will be held December 2, 2014.
- #GivingTuesday was founded by the 140-year-old New York community center 92nd Street Y in partnership with the United Nations Foundation.
- In 2013, more than 10,000 corporations, foundations, charities and volunteer organizations joined together in over 40 countries to kick off the holiday season and inspire action around charitable giving. This number was up more than 300% from 2012, when 2,500 companies and others participated in #GivingTuesday.
- #GivingTuesday conducts mega media events 60 days prior to the day creating opportunities for announcements of significant partnership commitments and plans.
- Bill and Melinda Gates partnered with #GivingTuesday to share “Why We Give.”
- #GivingTuesday reached over 2 billion individuals on Twitter and 300 million on Facebook.
- The #GivingTuesday hashtag trended on Twitter for 10 straight hours on December 3, 2013.
- The hashtag was used over 406,000 times on Twitter in the week leading up to #GivingTuesday, with the conversation peaking on December 3 with an average of 186 mentions per minute.
- Major voices helped spread the word on social media, including The White House, Kevin Bacon, Pearl Jam, Ellen DeGeneres, P. Diddy, Bill Gates, Steve Case, Katie Couric, Al Roker, Arianna Huffington, Kourtney Kardashian and Eminem, among many others.
- Over 3 billion global impressions were generated from print, broadcast and social media articles.
- Research from the fundraising software developer Blackbaud showed a 90% increase in online giving in 2013 compared to #GivingTuesday 2012.